Saturday, June 28, 2008

I'm here at last!




As I'm writing this, my hair is still up in a towel becase it won't dry. Why you ask? Because Taiwan is incredibly humid, and despite the fact that I took a cold shower tonight, I'm sweating. Our room can't seem to change temperature and remains at a steady 31 degrees celcius. I remain hopefulthat sometime in the middle of the night the thermostat will change its mind and decide to actually work.

My first day in Taiwan has been an adventure, as I was sure it would be. I haven't slept since Thursday night except for some sleep that I assumed I got on the airplane. Friday was lost because of the time change. It's crazy to think that I actually lost a day!

My flight to San Francisco was delayed because of wild fires in the area, but luckily I made it intime to meet my connection. 13 1/2 hours later, my group and I are in Taipei trying to find a way to get to Feng Yuan by bus. By this time it was 5:30 am. We had some trouble finding the right bus to the right city. Luckily we found someone who spoke English and helped us find the correct line. The bus ride was exciting complete with a crazy guy who was determined that we forgot to get off at our bus stop. We couldn't understand his English, and there was another woman on the bus who spoke good English. She was kinda the go between. She told us that we were ok and that we should continue on to the final destination: the Taichung Main Station. When we arrived at the final destination it became apparent that we had made a mistake. After a phone call to the owner of the school, and two hours later, we finally made it to the school. Huzah!

Well, long story short. I'm safe, I now have a bike, and some idea of how to shop for food. Tomorrow church is at 11, so I'm hoping I'll be able to sleep in a bit. Well, this is about all for the week. Till next time (which will probably be tomorrow).

1 comment:

Missy Johnson said...

hey beautiful! so fun to read your blog! we miss you here. the apartment is different without you and rachel! i hope you are doing well in taiwan! guess what? i'm running away to argentina in august! i can't wait. hope to hear from you soon!
super love!

Related Posts with Thumbnails