Our boss, Gerald, has taken us on a few tours of the town a la bicycle. Yesterday (Monday) he was riding his scooter as we pedaled behind, desperately trying to keep up. He led us through the winding streets and little alleys to the edge of town, where the jungle begins. I'll probably go adventuring in the next few days. Gerald took us to a park that his father-in-law designed. It was complete with the neighborhood god. It was cool to see something that I had studied in class before. There was also a fabulous view of a striking temple on the hill.

Today our ride consisted of bicycling to down town complete with a wild ride through the tunnel of death. The tunnel of death goes under a street. The bike and scooter section is seperated from the cars. I'm guessing it's called the tunnel of death because you have to go single file, and the Taiwanese don't seem to like waiting in line. We were able to find Stinky Tofu Alley as well as the local movie theater, a Starbucks, McDonald's, and Pizza Hut. Yeah, globalization has taken its toll.
We also discovered this great fruit market where everything is cheap. Or, at least we think it is...
I'm slowly adjusting to the life-style here. Friendly people wanting to try out their English are everywhere. It's not like we can blend in. I just try to smile at everyone who stares at me, and most of the time they smile back. Cutest moment of the day: as we were finishing our bike ride and were around the corner from the school these two little kids--they must have been 2 or 3 years old--were jumping up and down yelling "Hi, hi, hi" to each of us. It was so adorable. Moral of the story, I think they like us here. :)
3 comments:
i once heard on the radio that seeing a baby smile at you is the psychological equivalent of a gift of $30K. i think those little boys today was the psychological equivalent of a gift of a million dollars. i don't think i'll ever forget that moment.
Shanny it sounds like you are having a great time. I am totally jealous! Where else do they have these programs? I'm thinking I might want to do one...
:)
Hey girl, sounds like quite the fun adventure! I know what you mean about insidious american chains--they are everywhere (esp McD's, Starbucks, Burger K, and Pizza Hut). However, they are much classier than their American counterparts; the McDonald's have flower vases (with fresh gerber daisies) at each table and have stylish leather seats.
When do you actually start your teaching? And will you be learning Mandarin???
Post a Comment