Sunday, July 13, 2008

Let the Rain Fall Down...

Photobucket

Ever heard of a little thing called a monsoon? Well, it's a regular occurrence on this little island called Taiwan. When you least expect it, the sunny blue skies darken and fat drops of precipitation threaten every plan.

It happened last Sunday on our way home from church. There we were, walking home from the bus station when we started to feel a slight misting turn into sprinkles, then into rain, then a steady downpour, and then into nothing but what I can call torrential rains. It was insane. I really don't think I've ever experienced anything like it in my life (and let me tell you, I've experience pretty much all levels of rain). I, of course, did not have a poncho/umbrella with me. Needless to say I was water logged by the time we got back to the school.

Everyday this week the heavens open about 4pm without fail and douse us with an ocean of water. I had to change plans for activities for this adorable class:



Instead of racing our boats that we made, we were reduced to playing heads up 7-Up, which, for some strange reason, they didn't like. Go figure.

A week passes and you would think that the Berhan crew would have wizened up. Guess again. Last night, our amazingly awesome bicycle gang got caught in the rain once again...on the way to a baptism.

It all began with us not really knowing where the church building was. We just knew it was somewhere on the circle road on the right hand side about 10 minutes from where we lived. We seemed to have forgotten about the 10 minute part. About 40 minutes later we realized that we were incredibly lost and pretty much stranded. We happened to find an overhang at a bank where we tried to wait the storm out.

Photobucket

Notice Lindsey's perfectly dry hair. She was riding with an umbrella. When it became apparent that the storm wasn't letting up anytime soon, we decided to just go for it, and find our way home. We thought it was raining hard before, but then the wind started blowing and thunder and lightening appeared. So of course we stopped to take pictures!

Photobucket

At one point, we were waiting at a light and there was stream complete with currents coming down the street. Everyone was staring at us like we were psycho. Some older couples at a restaurant even tried to get us to come in. As we went on our way we heard shouts of encouragement and applause.

When we finally got home, the damage was done. My barely used phrase book looked like it drowned, and my shoes were water-logged. I don't think I've ever been so wet before in my life!

Taiwan! Oh, how I love thee!

3 comments:

missy meaygghan said...

i'm only happy when it rains. pour your taiwan down on me.

Missy Johnson said...

"Let the Rain Fall Down" is my absolute fave Hil Duff song. Miss you!

Larkin said...

Hey Shan -- I heart your blog & am way glad I found it. Taiwan sounds like an adventure :) Take care, Larkin

Related Posts with Thumbnails