Sunday, July 27, 2008

Something so Hot that even Seattle wants to be in on the Action...

So you're probably wondering what I am talking about. I'll give you a few clues to see if you can figure it out...


Yes, it definitely involves incredibly yummy dumplings...

And it includes carnival games...

And some sort of fish game...

Not to mention assorted meats and meat by products on a stick.Any guesses? Any at all?

It's the original Taiwanese Night Markets!!!

Night markets are held practically every night of the week and start in the early evening and sometimes last until 1 or 2 am. I am lucky enough to live in a town that has at least two night markets that supply four nights of entertainment. The smaller one is around the corner and up a few streets, whereas the larger one is a bit further away. Both are absolutely fabulous!

A night market is basically a market combined with carnival games, food vendors, and vendors of other goods such as shoes, clothes, watches, wallets, atd. It's a place where old and young come together and have a good time. Often I'll see little kids out at 10 pm playing on the rides (this is normal for Taiwanese culture) and grandmas and grandpas sitting by, watching. The colors, the smells, the people--all are intoxicating.

Night markets are prevalent in all Asian countries from what I understand, and Seattle's International District has decided to try out their own version of a night market this August. (Note to family and friends in the Seattle area: you should seriously consider making the trip to Chinatown to check it out). From what I heard it's going to be pretty cool complete with food and good family entertainment. I found out about the night markets from an old high school buddy through facebook. Go to this link for more info: http://www.cidbia.org/events.

When I found out about the night market in Seattle I was kinda bummed that I wasn't going to be there. Then I actually thought about it...yeah, I'm crazy. Why would I want to attend a night market in Seattle when I can have the real thing every week! And I'm pretty sure you can't eat delicious squid on a stick in Seattle...

All I can say is "Yum!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

nice! They totally need to get in on the action! horrah! Night markets!

Lauren said...

I love this post--you are so cute. I have to admit, I couldn't guess though!

You sound busy but happy! Are the other people with you from BYU or how did they all come together?

Thanks for the tips on my blog. They've definitely been noted. I am so excited for my trip afterwards. Also, we are staying at THE Sacre Cour which is in the Moulin Rouge area! I've seen pictures and I am absolutely stoked! PS--have you been to Vienna? I'm in charge of planning stuff there. Any fav museums? PPS. Czech republic is not a Eurail country--if it would have been, we might have gone! :( Bummer!

Related Posts with Thumbnails