Saturday, August 9, 2008

Coke + Mentos

So I think my 14 year old students finally think that I'm ok. Now that the first month of teaching is behind me I can tell that there has been some improvement--at least with me. I no longer go to my room and cry every night because some twerpy punk is giving me attitude. I have to admit that they are now my favorite class. Maybe it's because they are so challenging? I have their respect and some coolness points, which makes my Monday, Wednesday and Friday nights really fun.


With each class I plan a language activity that is supposed to aid in propelling them into the English language. With my ELE 6 class we just finished our Coke and Mentos"science" experiment. Connie, a fellow teacher, pretty much saved me when she clued me into this experiment of awesomeness. But before you do, pause the music on my blog before you check out this video of awesomeness:

After having watched the above video, I decide that we absolutely had to try it. So we did. On a much smaller scale. We had to have some variables, so we first started with Sprite and Mentos, or "Spirits" like my kids liked to call it. Pretty impressive I thought. (Rick, one of my students is playing photographer). This one happens to be good ol' Coca Cola Classic--the proud sponser of the Beijing Olympics. Props to Rick, you can see that there was more of an explosion than with the Sprite.Because there is no such thing as Diet Coke in Taiwan, we had to use Coke Zero instead. And you can see that there was a larger reaction with the Coke Zero than with any of the others.

Here are the final results:

Yup, Sprite beat both Coca Cola Classic and Coke Zero. Who would have thunk it?

The whole calss was so excited to get out of the classroom that they rejoiced...or hid from the camera...So it was overall a spectacular activity. And I'm sure that you are all incredibly impressed with my amazingly cool teaching techniques.

If you wanted another opinion on just how cool this experiment is just check out this music video by a little group I like to call Weezer. They seem to think it's pretty awesome.

1 comment:

Missy Johnson said...

When I was in Italy I had a little roll of Fruit Mentos almost every single day. And when I got home I realized they had gluten in them, which explained why I was sick and grumpy a lot while I was there! I can't believe they don't have Diet Coke in Taiwan. That is absolutely heart-breaking! We had Coca Cola Light in Italy, and it was better than Diet Coke because it was a tiny bit sweeter than the DC here but not as sweet as normal coke. Anyway, you are great and I am glad you are getting the hang of things!

Related Posts with Thumbnails