Sunday, November 22, 2009

Yeah, my students are awesome!

One fine day, a few weeks ago, two of my first graders (did you know I taught two 1st grade classes? Well, I do), entered the classroom with very familiar-looking, long, black cases. I was overcome with excitement, probably because I haven't seen a stand case since I myself was in band many, many, many, many years ago. Well, maybe not that many, but you get the picture. They were also carrying lots of bags, so I knew an instrument of some kind was hidden amongst all the other junk they have to take to their plethora of schools each day. And I was hoping--man, oh, man was I hoping--that it wasn't a "flute."

Let me explain. Most of my students play the "flute," but do not let the name confuse you with the beautiful, melodious, silver instrument coveted by most 5th grade girls. Oh, no. These so called flutes are actually recorders. And having played the real flute myself for eight years, I'm quite particular. I'll admit I wasn't the best flute player in band, but I do have some pride. A flute is not a recorder, and there's no way that a recorder is a flute.

All that hoping paid off. Kai and Keith pulled out identical, square-shaped cases, that could only house a clarinet. I was really excited. Really.

Don't tell my parents (or maybe I just did), but I secretly wished in 10th grade that I had chosen to play the clarinet instead of the flute. I love the mellow, muted sound that the clarinet makes. At that time, some of my fellow flautists were really quite annoying, and persistantly played the shrillest notes at the loudest possible volume, trying to "outdo" each other. I frankly thought they were being a headache and in the mean time they were giving me a headache. But I digress.

I should say that I love the mellow, muted sound that the clarinet makes when it's not squawking like a duck. Luckily, these two fine young men are pretty skilled for their age of nine:

1 comment:

GreenTaiwan said...

I taught these kids in AK! I kinda miss them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails