Saturday, February 20, 2010

Letters from Taiwan


Yesterday I got a letter.
A real letter.
From Taiwan.
And...it made my day.

I had forgotten that I'd even given my students my mailing address, but lo and behold, Miss Madline sent me a real live letter. Well, maybe not live.

And like Marcel's madeleine, this letter triggered a whole slough of memories. Who wouldn't like that?

So I thought I'd make a list commemorating the greatest memories I have of Taiwan that I can think of at this moment in time. And this is in no meaningful order whatsoever.
  • playing basketball in the rain and getting huge blood blisters on my feet
  • my first kiss
  • teaching my students how to play baseball and American football (the latter was hilarious)
  • hikes with Gloria
  • talks with Fenny
  • our unofficial book club
  • Temple trips to Taipei, including hot chocolate and fried dumpling runs
  • my many scooter mishaps
  • classroom pranks
  • being pranked
  • Secret Santa
  • school dances
  • pinatas
  • making horcata with left-over rice
  • bingshas from Hello Kitty
  • dong gwa neo nais (I'm craving these like none other!)
  • Thanksgiving on the roof
  • naked speedo man
  • the bike trail
  • "training" for a 10 k that I never did run (in my defense, my knee started to hurt to much to really run on it)
  • cute little Taiwanese kids in their cute little clothes doing peace signs for pictures
  • strawberry milks!!!!
  • the rivers
  • mosquitos (yuck)
  • Captain Recycling
And that's about all for now. It's funny how feelings toward a place can change after a while. This time last year, I was in a really bad spot and thought I'd made a humongous mistake coming back to the States. This time around I feel at peace with my decision to return State-side. I still miss my students and my friends, but it's not the same kind of agonizing pain that I felt before. I'm so glad I was able to go back to Taiwan and spend more time with the people that I love and leave on a satisfactory note.

And....

....I'm especially grateful that I taught my fifth graders how to write letters because now I get to reap the rewards!

Here's to Taiwan and all its goodness!

3 comments:

Indy said...

Oh, I so wish I could get a letter from one of my students sometime!!!

You forgot on your list:
- gingerbread Taiwanese houses
- lip sinks

Those are all good memories!!

Brandon Patterson said...

Such a great list!

What are "dong gwa neo nais"? I'm curious if I've tried these, and if so, where I can get them!?

Shan said...

Hey Brandon,

I'm sure you've had one, and I'm pretty sure I've butchered how you would actually spell it in pin ying. You can get them at Hello Kitty's or at Balance. Balance has better ones and they are less expensive. The Balance by the 7-11 (which one, right? the one kitty corner to the yellow 3-G store) knows us pretty well. If you try to say it, they'll know what you mean. And don't forget the zen zou (tapioca pearls).

Related Posts with Thumbnails