{Cherry Blossoms in DC. Spring 2009}
Yes, please!
Hanami is a centuries old Japanese custom of admiring the beautiful sakura, or cherry blossoms. Even though hanamis were originally for viewing the cherry blossoms, nowadays people seem to go to hanami parties for the food and sake.
Since the cherry trees have been blossoming for a couple of months (at least it feels like it), a friend of mine decided to have a hanami party. Unfortunately it was a typical Seattle evening full of wind and rain, so we weren't really able to see cherry blossoms. Despite the weather, the evening ended up being fabulous.
Mary had gone to Uwajimaya, the famous Asian grocery store that's provided Seattle Asian goods since1928 (pretty cool, huh?) and bought a ton of cool Japanese treats. I felt like I was in Taiwan again with all the Pocky and Hello Pandas.
We also learned how to roll our own sushi (hoorah!) and watched a very cute Japanese flick called Linda, Linda, Linda. Even though Linda, Linda, Linda wasn't Death Note, it was still very good.
Here are some more pictures of the evening:
Despite what it may look like, there was no sake involved. Girl Scout's honor. We were pretty excited to try out Ramune, though. It tasted like candy in liquid form. Enough sugar to hype anyone up for a week.
{Me, Matt, and my sushi roll (not in that particular order). It was pretty awesome, if I do say so myself.}
{The whole crew chillin' like villains.}
Here's to the Japanese and their
fabulous custom of
Hanami!

2 comments:
Ramune! haha at Justin's school they sold Ramune in the little school store and it was a BIG hit. Justin had to bring one home to me so I could see for myself. It is yummy! I can't even imagine how much revenue that stuff brought into his school.
That party looks way fun! I am inspired to get together with friends and do something out of the ordinary!
I can't talk about cherry blossoms and not hurt for DC, right?! Thanks for your call the other day, I will try getting a hold of you too, soon! I am dying to hear about your dream job?! and of course catch up! Happy Easter!
Post a Comment