Monday, March 9, 2009

An Ode to Ireland...

It's March, just in case you haven't noticed. And with March comes the most fabulous holidays of them all--St. Patrick's Day!

St. Paddy's Day has always been one of my favorite holidays. I don't know if it's the tales of leprechauns and pots o' gold, or the fact that you get to pinch people if they aren't wearing green. Or it could possibly be the green pancakes or waffles that Mom would make us for breakfast. For my family St. Patrick's Day has always been a special holiday, because it was the day that my parents named me.

My parents adopted me when I was just a few days old, and they couldn't decide on a name. My mom really liked the names "Jill" and "Natasha," but my dad wasn't very keen on them. For the better part of two weeks I was called "Baby Boo." All that changed on the day of March 17th. My dad came up with the name "Shannon," and my mom loved it. So to me St. Patrick's Day will always be known as my name day.

When I was 19 and a sophomore in college, I had a very intelligent, witty, and fabulous friend from the UK who told me that Shannon is an actual place complete with an international airport and a river. So, ever since that day, I've decided that I must go to Shannon, Ireland. I mean, come on, I have to!

Anywho, there are other great things about Ireland and St. Patrick's Day. All things Celtic, for instance. And, who could ever forget the milieu of sweet Irish singer/songwriters and bands. My playlist for the month features some of my favorites, so I hope you enjoy!

Cheers!

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

That's such a great picture! Did you take it, Shannon? (and thank you for your sweet comments on my blog, you are so thoughtful and wonderful)

Jenna said...

Shannon, I wish I could write it like they say it on Far and Away, or at least like Simon said it. Happy Shannon's Name Day next tuesday! It is one of my favorite holidays too.

Kristen said...

I love that picture!! What a sweet story about being named. I love your name...it fits you perfectly!

Related Posts with Thumbnails