Tuesday, September 14, 2010

2 in 1

2 in 1 what? you may ask.

Well, I'll tell you. Two Czech reunions in one week. It was pretty amazing, I promise you that.

Three of my former mission companions and I met up in Odenton, MD to reminisce about the good ol' days on the mission and to enjoy some tasty ovocné knedlíky. Karey and Katie's kids were a riot, and it was so fun to see them as moms.

It was the first time any of us had seen Celena (in yellow) since returning from the mish 4 1/2 years ago. I still can't believe we've been back that long! All three of them have had a chance to return to the Czech Republic--I think it's my turn!

But that's not all...
                      later that week I met up with my dear friend Julie. 

Julie and I met in quite a funny way. I was in my greenyship (my first transfer) in Ostrava, CZ. Ostrava is the third largest city in the Czech Republic and I served there for 7 months. Anyhow, the day I met Julie was the first day I got someone's phone number at a street display.

This is how the afternoon went down:

Rappleye, my trainer, challenged me to get five phone numbers at our street display that day. Mind you, I had yet to get one, so to get five was a challenge. My reward? A Magnum Bar-sweet goodness on a stick. And man, was I up for the challenge. Not quite sure how I did it, but I did it! After the street display we headed over to the Delvita on the namesti, to get my reward. As were were looking at the Magnum Bars we heard English. Now this was a rarity in Ostrava, and we immediately followed the sound. And the sound led to the produce section and to Julie! 

This meeting led to exchanged phone numbers, and to 7 months worth of fabulous get-togethers at a quaint kavarna on P-days. In turn this has led to a lasting friendship (Julie was in the Czech Republic as a missionary and English teacher for a different church).
Julie and I have since traveled the world (seperately), finished school, and are working professionals. After all these years we both found ourselves in DC. Julie is about to embark on a new adventure in Little Rock working for non-profit using her law degree. She's amazing!

Here's to my fabulous week of reminiscing, the Czech Republic and fabulous friendships!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

It really is fun getting together with old friends. Especially ones that you shared such an important time in your life with. Very fun!

Windy Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Windy Dawn said...

Fun times! Hey, just let me know if you need a travel companion to the Czech Republic ;)
Did I ever tell you I'm part Czech? My great-granddaddy came from there.

Shan said...

Windy, you're part Czech! How awesome! And I will be needing a travel buddy...we'll have to chat about it!

missy meaygghan said...

I want Celena's top!

Related Posts with Thumbnails