Haha.
I love being a nerd.
Today is Star Wars Day, and for some reason this is the first time I've even heard of it. I have a couple of friends that are huge fans that are holding a viewing tonight complete with Star Wars themed food...costumes are not discouraged.
I've never been a super fan, but it's hard not to like Star Wars. And you have to admit that John Williams is a brilliant composer! We played the Imperial March in marching band, and then in Wind Ensemble we performed the piece that influenced Williams' composition--Gustav Holst's Mars, Bringer of War, from his Planets (brilliant piece, by the way).
And I thought about Star Wars every single day I lived in Taiwan. Fact. Remember how I taught twins that were named Luke and Leia? Well, they were never told why they were given those English names. They had no idea. Towards the end of my second stint teaching there, I felt like I had to let them in on it. We watehed a clip in class, and they thought it was the coolest thing ever. (Oh, the Taiwanese and their English names!!!)
And Star Wars loosely reminds me of this video by the Beastie Boys:
Beastie Boys - Intergalactic by BeastieBoys-Official
The Beastie Boys have always been a favorite. So many memories in junior/high school involve their songs (in particular, cruising to Brass Monkey, and Girls with my best friend's older brother and his friend on a particular New Year's Eve). Intergalactic was one of my absolute favorite songs my 9th grade year. I still remember a heated conversation with one of guy friends over it (even then I was a music snob).
As you may already know, Adam Yauch--aka MCA--passed away today from cancer. It's a tragedy that the world has lost such a talented performer, filmmaker, and philanthropist (he's the one who directed the above video.) The Beasties have forever influenced the music world, and for that I am grateful to have lived in such a time.
So simply, here's to MCA!
No comments:
Post a Comment