As some of you may know, I haven't had the most excellent health this past year. I joke that I'm allergic to Seattle--all my health problems showed their ugly faces once I moved back. I won't go into detail, but it felt like it has been one thing after another, after another.
Two weeks ago Tuesday I was just feeling gross. I took a "mental health" day from work and hung out with my mom and took it easy. That afternoon I had an appointment with my doctor, and she wanted to take some blood tests for the symptoms I was feeling.
Late Wednesday night I received a voicemail from my doctor telling me to immediately go to the ER. My blood sugar levels were above 600 (normal range is 70-120), and that I tested positive for diabetes. What?! She left her cell number (doctors hardly ever do that) and told me to call her right away. Which I did--after I bawled my eyes out to my parents.
At the hospital, I was immediately admitted into the ER and had several vials of blood drawn and had at least 4 things of saline pumped into me. They found that my blood levels were above 700 (that was as far as the hospital's machine would register). It was the most surreal experience. I ended up staying two nights in the hospital--one in the ICU and the other on the floor. I have never been so uncomfortable in my life, despite all the lovely nurses and techs that were trying to "make it all better."
It's ironic--one of my main motivations for losing weight was so I would avoid getting Type 2 diabetes when I am older. It was a fear of mine, to be perfectly honest. But now, here I am, trying to navigate a new life with Type 1 diabetes.
I'm so grateful for all the love and support I've received over the past weeks. And it's been interesting to see the Lord's hand in my life at this time, blessing me through this whole experience. There have been so many "tender mercies." For instance, one of my best friends is an ER nurse at the hospital I was admitted to and was working that night. It was a comfort to have something familiar in a strange place. And she made sure I got the good doctor who was on that night. Another: the nurse that I had that first night in the ICU was so bubbly and happy--something I needed at 2 am still going through the whole ordeal. And yet another: the fact that I live so close to my family and that my mom in particular was able to drop everything to come be with me. My parents' have been amazing, and I can't even imagine how I could have done this on my own in DC.
The emotions I'm feeling are quite surprising. I thought I'd be fine...so many people have diabetes, it's not like I'm the only one. But it's been frustrating as I've gained back weight (!) especially after I worked so hard to lose it (I know. I'm vain. At least I'm admitting it though?). I'm frustrated with myself that I'm feeling a sense of loss. I'm told that this is normal--that I will go through a mourning period and may even feel depression and anxiety. Those last two scare me the most.
But through all this I have learned that my Heavenly Father loves me. I should have had seizures or been in a coma with how high my blood sugar levels were, yet the day before I went into the hospital I was playing volleyball. I've had conversations with so many people that have been answers to prayer. Blessings from priesthood holders that have soothed my soul.
I can do this!
I definitely can!
I can do this!
I definitely can!
13 comments:
Oh Shan!! I am so glad you are okay -- what a scary experience. I can't even imagine . . . sending you lots of love!
Shannon! I'm so sorry you had to go through this! But, I'm so glad you're by your family. You're a brave lady. :)
Thanks for sharing this. I know sharing bad news is one of the hardest things to do on a blog. You continue to be an inspiration to me. So it's type 1, huh?
Oh and don't feel frustrated with the feelings of mourning. Everyone I know who has developed a condition that requires drastic changes to lifestyle goes through this. I think it's healthy and soon you will move on from this phase.
That must have been so scary! Thinking about you!
Oh no! Shannon, I'm so sorry. It's really mind blowing to find out you have a health problem without an easy fix that you'll have to deal with long term. It's a lot to process.
Not sure if you knew that my older sister, Joy, has Type 1 diabetes. She was living in Helaman Halls her freshman year and wasn't feeling well. Finally a friend drove her to the health center. Her blood sugar tested at over 1000 when she finally got to the hospital. It was really a miracle she hadn't collapsed into a sugar coma. Glad you didn't either.
The story has a pretty happy ending though. She has learned how to deal with it. She now has an insulin pump (which she loves!) and has been able to have 3 healthy, if big, babies.
I know that probably doesn't help you out too much, but it's nice knowing there are others who have been there and are doing just fine. I really hope you are feeling better and that the adjustment period is quick. I'll keep you in my prayers. BIG HUGS!
Oh and that was me, Shannon, your old roomie, not my in laws. :) Sorry.
Thanks all! I really do appreciate your love and support! Such good friends! :)
@Shannon--I love hearing about other people with T1D and are living normal lives. It gives me hope that it really won't run my life, but just be apart of it.
Love you, Shan! You can do this! You know why? Because you're a rock star and can do anything! You're awesome, and I'm here for you anytime!
I hope you're doing all right! I hope you adjust well. Keep up the efforts.
Shan you are amazing and you can do hard things! Love your guts! Let me know if you need a vaca in sunny AZ! :)
Sweetie :( I love you so Shan. I am keeping you in my prayers. You have a wonderful perspective and I am so blessed by your example. You amaze me... truly. I adore you!
Hey Shannon! I'm so sorry to hear you had to go through these experiences, but I definitely agree, you can do this! I am so glad to hear you are ok and that you now at least have some info to move forward, and I bet you will start feeling better once you get used to the new routine(s). Thinking of you! xoxo
You're a strong woman Shannon. :)
Post a Comment