Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Accidentally seeing an (almost) total eclipse...

...and I'm afraid it was not of the heart. It was actually of the sun. And it was a pretty big deal. So big that I accidentally saw it.

Today was the first time in almost 200 years (I'm probably exaggerating) that a total solar eclipse could be seen from mainland Asia. And for me it meant an 80% solar eclipse in Taiwan. Yesterday, my awesome roommate Connie sent me a news link all about it. According to the article it was supposed to be tonight. But it wasn't. It happened to be this morning. At 9:40 am.

And that was about the time that I rolled out of bed this morning (due to sickness, I promise). I woke up and thought that it was awfully dark for it being almost 10 o'clock in the morning. I got up, put on my running clothes and climbed the stairs to the roof, where I do my ritual morning run. As I peered at the town I thought that it was very humid/hazy, even though I could totally tell that the sky was a gorgeous blue. I couldn't see the sun (you'd think that would have been a clue). I just thought (joyously) that maybe a typhoon was on it's way (I really am too hopeful). I went on and did my jog. Went back down stairs, showered, and got ready for the day.

It wasn't until Connie returned from her Chinese class, and after some serious research did we realize that the eclipse happened without us even knowing. And that darkness/haziness was in fact the side effects of the eclipse.

It was a travesty. But we did learn that the next total solar eclipse will happen off the coast of Tahiti in July 2010. Our plan is to take a Tahitian cruise, see the eclipse, and then head on down to Australia. It would be quite nice.

So here's to solar eclipses, even though I seem to only accidentally see them.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

That is so funny that you didn't even notice. At least you now know the signs to look for. Hopefully the Tahitian cruise/Australia will work out. That would be a fun trip. :)

The Bergant Family said...

That's great! At least you woke up and caught it. The cruise sounds great, eclipse or not!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails