Thursday, August 27, 2009

Recipe for Happiness

Most everyone I know wants to be happy, as opposed to miserable. But it's one thing to be happy on the surface, and quite another to be truly happy. I want to be truly happy, but sometimes this object of desire slips away and hides in the shadows of my life.

I do admit that I have a tendency to be what I like to call melancholy. My mom (bless her) reminds me to stop worrying about things and enjoy life. So I've finally taken her advice and these past couple of months I've been more deliberately (my new favorite word) finding ways to be happy--beyond the surface.

My fabulous friend Sarah let me borrow this book called Authentic Happiness. It's been pretty insightful thus far. One thing that I learned , and have learned many times before but always seem to forget, is that one way that people can become happy is by listing all the things that they are grateful for. In the past I've kept gratitude journals, and they really do work. As I've focused on all the good positive things in my life, I don't seem to notice the not-so-happy things.

I've started a new goal to write down 5 things a day that I'm grateful for.

As I've been doing this, I thought that I could do this with my fifth graders. Asia is known for its high suicide levels, probably from the intense academic, social, and work pressures. My fifth graders are pre-teens and are going to be in the thick of things before they realize it. I had them take the Gratitude Test, and found that they all scored in the bottom 1/4 of all those tested. I told them we are going to do an experiment. For the next three weeks, I'm having them write down 5 things that they are grateful for as well. At the end of the three weeks we're all going to take the test again and see if we score any higher. It should be pretty interesting. And I'm quite excited to see what will happen.

Also, as a result, I've decided to start listing my things on this here blog. That way I'll be more likely to keep to it. So here goes:

5 things that I'm grateful for

1. That I'm here in Taiwan teaching these adorable kids:
2. That I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and the knowledge that it brings to me of who I am, and why I am here, and where I will be going once my life here on earth is over. And most importantly, that my family can be together forever. That's pretty awesome, if I do say so myself.

3. My stellar friends that listen to my various ramblings, random thoughts, and my deepest darkest secrets. :)
{My good friend (and former roommate) Emma and I eating some gyoza that we made}
{Me and my good friend Heather at her cookout in Georgetown}{My Bothell Stake friends. We kinda all grew up together. Dallas, Nikki, Ashlee, Ilene and Me!}{Great friends and roommates Kristen and Lex}{Kelly and Scott. Roommate and family friend. Need I say more?}{Miss Kate}{Me and Kellyn. We are soooo domestic!}
{Rachel love. Life is always a kooky adventure with her!}
{Emma and Kevin. I love these guys! Some of the greatest friends ever!}
{Me and Lexie Lou at the Bon Fire of Awesomeness I. She's pretty much amazing!}
{Ze Boyz. My outstanding guy friends prior to my mission. Corey offered to beat up anyone who broke my heart}
{Blurry picture, but I love it all the same. Me and Miss Larkin and her husband Cody at my quarter century bash.}
{Miss Ilene, Lex, Steph, and Kel at my graduation dinner. Lovely ladies.}
{Me and Pat talking music. Oh glorious!}
{Rocking with the ladies. Me, Connie, Megs, and Erin. Great friends and roommies in Taiwan.}
{Me and Russia--friend and confidante.}
They've all been a great help to me especially over the past 8 months.

4. My family (Of course!)

{Linds, Mom, and I.}
{Mom and Dad}
{My bro, Mikey.}

5. The sun. I know that might be a small thing after church, friends, and family, but honestly, I do so much better in sunny climates. I love Seattle with all my heart, but the winters are almost too dark, cold, and dreary.

Well, that's all. A marathon of a blog. Hopefully the next ones won't be so long. :)

3 comments:

The Bergant Family said...

I liked this post, especially embellished with photos. Thanks for sharing. It was fun to see pictures of people I recognized too. :)

Kat Dahl said...

I was going through your blog (knowing that I just found a new one) and I see those pictures of Emma...I think I know her. Is her last name Jones? She looks an awful lot like an Emma that I knew from back in Naperville, Illinois. I knew her older sister Natalie more than her, but they were both friends of a friend, and they came to my wedding.

Shan said...

Kat, how funny! Yes, it would be Emma Jones! She was one of my roommates! Small world, eh?

Related Posts with Thumbnails