So as many as you may know, I'm teaching one of my former classes. When I had them a year ago they were sweet, tender 4th graders. Now they are flirty, angst-ridden pre-teens.They try to put up a front, but I just laugh at them. There's no hiding behind a wall of attitude with me. Mainly because I won't let them. I remind them all the time that I already know them, and know them well. Last year this was one of my favorite classes, so it's been great having them again.
Each class period we have journal writing time. They are good writers, so instead of having them write about pictures, I've been having them write about scenes from a few films. One day, one of my girls came to class with Twilight. I happen to really enjoy the Twilight series, and even own all of them (I know, I know. I'm probably too old for vampire romances, but hey, they do take place in Washington). I got the idea to show parts of Twilight the movie, in class. The girls have loved it, and I think quite a few of the boys have as well. It's been funny.
I remember talking with this same class around Halloween last year. I tried to give them some Halloweenesque spelling words and vampire was one of them. I tried to explain what a vampire was to them, and I swore they didn't get it.
me: You know, they suck your blood with sharp teeth.
them: Yeah, yeah, and they jumps like this....
They would then get up and start acting like a stiff, hopping zombie. I didn't get it. And finally this past week I had it explained to me. Western vampires and Eastern vampires are nothing alike except for the blood drinking thing.
Connie was talking to our mutual 1st grade class, and they explained it to her. I walked by their classroom yesterday, and they started hopping toward me like little vampires. I decided to play along and flee with my hands around my neck. They started laughing hysterically! I love these kids.
Anyways, I found this little video on youtube that explained the differences incredibly well. So hopefully you'll find it both entertaining and informative as I did.
Here's to knowing what to do if attacked by a Chinese vampire!
4 comments:
Shanny, It sounds like you are having so much fun teaching and being in Taiwan! Your students sure sound fun.
You are such a fun teacher! No wonder your kids love you and you love it there! Here's to more of it!
Ok that video was hilarious! I bet that explained a lot about why the kids said they jump. :) I love your journaling idea. Having them write about scenes from movies. I bet those 11 year old girls are loving it. (I have no idea what age 5th graders are anymore. Sorry.)
I own all of them too, and I also use the excuse that they take place in WA. Ha Ha Ha
Post a Comment