Friday, January 15, 2010

I have a job...and it's a real one!

Yeah, that's right...and I've barely been in the States for two weeks! I might add that I'm pretty excited, especially after the agony I endured a year ago job-searching in DC. Let me just say that temp agencies really do work. If there's anyone who is job searching right now, go to a temp agency.

It's kind of ridiculous how quickly it all happened. I went in on Wednesday afternoon for an appointment  at a temp agency. My recruiter (we'll call him Bob for all intents and purposes), was super cool and very enthusiastic. Bob greatly expressed his disappointment that we hadn't met a day sooner. Apparently there was a small investment firm that was looking for a new office manager, and he felt I'd be PERFECT for the job.

I went home that evening thinking that it would probably be week before I heard back from him, as was the case with the temp agencies I worked with in DC. I kid you not, 8:30 the following morning I get a call from Bob. And he's really excited.

As luck would have it, the investment firm didn't like any of the previous interviewees, and were willing to have me come in that afternoon if I were available. I was a bit hesitant because my dear friend Kellyn and her husband were in Seattle interviewing at UW and it was my only chance to hang out with her. We had already made plans, etc. But then I shook my self, and gave myself a talking to:

"Shannon," I said. "What are you thinking? Kellyn would understand how important this is. Plus, what is the one main thing you seriously need at this point in time? That's right, a job. Don't freak out. You'll be fine."

And I was right....Kel totally understood and even drove me to my interview. It was the best. Splendid really.

And then I fell in love with the crew. I met every single person of the 7 person staff over the course of two days (yep, got a second interview), and felt absolutely at home in the office. Splendid I tell you! Bob called me at the end of his shift yesterday and shared that they absolutely loved me.

I did it! I scored a job with a great company and am so excited to be busy and productive again. Granted the days will be early (7am-4pm shift), but heck you can't argue with being on salary and having really good benefits these days. I feel like I've been so blessed and I'm so grateful that everything has worked out in the way that it has.

I'll be sure to have many office antics and anecdotes to share on the blog. It won't be as cute or as entertaining as Taiwanese children, but we shall see. Who knows? Trader Joe's was certainly a great place for interesting happenings. 

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

Congrat's Shannon! You are right that jobs are hard to find... you definitely received quite the blessing, and it is so well deserved :-)

So what does the company do exactly?

Shannon said...

Thanks for the update! Congrats on the new job. It sounds wonderful! It really is amazing that it all happened so quickly too.

jeremy and steph said...

Congratulations!!! That is so exciting! What a relief :) Glad to hear you are doing well, tell your cute family hello!

Brandon Patterson said...

Yay! You did it! Jobs are good to have. Congrats.

Related Posts with Thumbnails