But had a little adventure on my way down to visit her.
Some background, if you will:
I have taken trains all over the world. I'm not trying to brag, but it's the truth. Commuter trains in France, all kinds of trains in the Czech Republic, a sleeper train in Thailand (complete with a huge bug in my bed), and a plethora of trains in Taiwan.
Main point:
I know how to ride a train.
Despite this, I was still a bit nervous as I made my way to Union Station having never ridden a train in the States. I don't know what I was afraid of (probably the unknown--I have a tendency to be scared of that). I didn't really know where to go, or what normal protocol is for boarding a train. (Ok. Maybe I over-think things a bit. Ok. A lot.)
My train was delayed, and the lovely man at the Amtrak information desk was helpful and nice (a rarity at times in DC). Once I was seated in my big comfy chair prepared to look out the window for endless hours (4 to be exact), heard a man, sitting two seats in front of me, ask his wife where the monuments were, and if he'd be able to see them from the train. Apparently they did not board in DC as myself. His wife's response sounded a bit impatient, but she told him. I thought it was a bit strange that they weren't sitting next to each other, but rather across the aisle from each other. Anyhow, that seemed to be the end of it.
Boy was I wrong. This couple proceeded to be the entertainment (not quite sure if it was a good thing) for myself and the rest of the car for the remainder of the trip. It started with a back and forth of stupid questions and hurried answers. After a few beers, things got louder and louder and louder. By the time we hit Ashland an all out fight ensued--name calling, digging up past unfortunate deeds, threatenings to kill each other.
The rest of us didn't quite know how to react. Do we ignore them? Ask them to quiet down (because they were obnoxiously noisy)? What if they retaliated once asked to be quiet and took it out on us? At one point a girl across the aisle from me, just looked at me and mouthed "Can you believe this?"
I couldn't. I was appalled.
She proceeded to collect her things and move to the back of the car, to get a little more peace. The guy in front of me started talking about them openly in his phone conversation to a relative, hoping they would get a clue and settle down.
Once we hit Richmond, we were all hoping that the couple would get off the train. But no. They were on to the very last stop (Newport News).
At one point the train stopped in the middle-of-no-where-Virginia and I thought I would die if I couldn't tell someone of my debacle. So I called Celena and shared the entertainment with her. Besides, she didn't have anything else to do, but wait for me at the train station (my train was an hour late).
When the train finally arrived in Williamsburg, I was hoping to get a good look at the couple as I was exiting, but alas, we had to disembark at the opposite end.
Moral of the story:
When you're on a train, don't air your dirty laundry. No one wants to hear your business. Simply read your book/magazine/Kindle, listen to your iPod (or mp3 player of choice), and divulge in pleasant, quiet conversation with your neighbor.
2 comments:
If you go anywhere else in the world, everyone thinks Americans are loud and obnoxious. It's people like this that give us that bad name.
Agreed! They ruin it for the rest of us normal folk!
Post a Comment