It's hard for me to beleive that ten years have already gone by.
I still remember September 11, 2001 like it was yesterday.
It was the first full week of school in the little ol' town of Provo, UT. I was still asleep when everything happened. I had no idea anything had happened until I turned on my computer and looked at the news feed, and saw an image like the one above. I honestly thought it was a joke. Who would fly a plane into a building? Then as I read further, the seriousness of what happened sank in. I remember telling my roommate, Shannon, to check it out.
Then my friend Rose popped up on my IM. She was a new freshman at NYU, and was in New York at the time. She was trying to reach anyone in her family to let them know that she was ok. She could see the whole thing from her dorm room, a safe distance uptown. Cell reception and phone lines were shot. I was going to call her parents in Washington or try to reach her brother in Provo, but luckily that brother logged on to IM, and Rose was able to talk to him herself.
It was a Tuesday, and the campus had been geared up for the welcome devotional. Obviously that all changed. Instead the devotional addressed terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, and we had a moment of silence for those who died.
From that moment on, life was never the same. It's one of those memories that I will never forget.
Last night, I decided to watch some of the news from that day in 2001. The Today Show on NBC caught most of it live, and the images are still horrific. Watching the second plane fly into the second tower, I choked up. I can't think of that image without tears coming to my eyes.
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir has teamed up with Tom Brokaw for a very special musical performance remembering those who lost their lives that day, and showing how others have risen above the horrible tragedy. If you have the chance, please take a chance to view it. For more information, go here.
I will always remember Sept. 11, 2001.


No comments:
Post a Comment