It's only 10 am and a third of my liter bottle of Diet Dr. Pepper is gone. Perhaps I should have made "no caffeine consumption" apart of my goals for the year. But I don't know if I could actually do it after a night like last night. It was another testament that I am no longer closer to 20 than I am to 30. Gah, that sounds horrible.
I think I may be addicted to karaoke.
I just can't get it out of my system.
I went again last night with my roommate (who has an AMAZING voice by the way), and stayed much to late. It happens every time. I say to myself, "Tonight, I will leave at 11pm," and then 11pm turns into 12:30am...on a work night. Which is much harder than a school night, let me tell you!
Funny things seem to be happening to me of late at the frequented karaoke bar. Two weeks ago a utterly intoxicated man in his 30s started talking to my friend. I could tell that she was a bit unnerved, so I took one for the team, and engaged him in conversation, so he would leave her alone. He was asking if one of us if we wanted to do a duet with him. My friend did not. Nor did I. But I think this is where my being much too nice comes to bite me in the butt. I agreed to sing with him, thinking he would leave us alone once we appeased his request. We sang. I sat down. Horror of horrors he followed me, and asked for my number. He ended up taking my phone, entered his number, and called his phone. He was too quick for me to give him fake digits. And to top it off, we was wearing something that looked much like a wedding band. I told myself that he would be much too drunk to remember what happened that night, and that he would forget all about in the coming days and weeks. Not so much. Three days later I received a text from him wishing me a Merry Christmas, and asking how to contact me on facebook. Naturally, I ignored the text. (All kinds of ick, huh?).
Last night I had a song dedicated and sung to me. Wasn't quite sure what was going on. Still don't know if it was a joke, or if it was serious. I'm going to pretend that it was a joke.The guy was apart of our group, but I'd only met him once before at karaoke. But how embarrassing!
It's Friday, and you know that I have a great bit of music for you. Je promis that I'm getting to it. And karaoke does relate. Sort of.
It's been really hard of late to pick good songs to sing. I don't listen to the radio, so I don't really know any of the popular songs out at the moment. And my music collection is eclectic. Very eclectic. I'm more of an alternative/indie girl, but I have my fair share of classical and foreign music. That being the case, I haven't really rocked it at karaoke.
Lately, I've been listening to the soundtracks of Amélie and Marie Antoinette on repeat, mixed in with a little Arcade Fire. I love French music. And we all know K-pop holds a special place in my heart. I even have more than half a dozen Czech/Slovak albums.
A couple of weeks ago I stumbled upon this gem on iTunes. Coeur de Pirate has an AMAZING sound, and this song is absolutely beautiful! It's one that touches my soul and almost brings tears to my eyes.
Please enjoy Place de la République by Coeur de Pirate.
Click here for French and English lyrics.
2 comments:
Shan! I love that you LOVE Karoake. That was a Kellyn, Amy, Lex and Tatiana adored activity! Although our Karaoke bars tote some gems of folks too. Similar to your duet partner (I've heard). You are so awesome! I also think that that dedication last night was not a joke! haha. Run with it girl!
What a beautiful song. Thanks for the introduction! I am going to get this song on itunes for sure! Miss you Shan!
Post a Comment