Two weeks ago today, my little jet-plane from the Emerald City brought me across the country to our nation's capital. It's hard to believe that I've already been here that long. In a lot of ways it feels like I just left yesterday. I'm amazed at all that I've done here so far.
The List
1. Saw old roommate Nikki, her husband Dave, and cute, cute baby Halli. Nikki was sweet enough to pick me up from the airport, and invited me over for dinner. There's nothing like seeing familiar faces your first day in a newish town.
2. Attended launch party of friend Brittany's design website Baker St. I admire and look up to Brittany for all that she has accomplished. We first met either my first or second year of school at BYU in a French class. Years (and missions to far off lands) later, we ended up in a couple of the same art history classes. Brittany graduated and was accepted to the prestigious Corcoran College of Art + Design. She has since been all over the world rubbing elbows with people of very high importance, learning all about textile, fashion and interior design. Did I mention that I slightly envy her life? Did I?
Anyhow, good friend, fellow classmate and modern/contemporary art lover, Maggie, was so kind to take me. We were in HEAVEN. Words cannot express the joy I felt at seeing real live modern slashy contemporary art of someone's personal collection. The sad thing is, I don't even remember all that I saw, but I do remember thinking how tasteful the collection was, and loved how it was displayed. Maggie and I both had an opportunity to speak with the owner who so graciously opened his house for all to see, and he had some great tips of how to start one's own art collection.
{Outside the National Cathedral}
{Inside the National Cathedral. I love the colors on the ceiling created by the light shining through the stained glass}
{Dancers dressed in traditional Ukranian costume. It reminded me of the Czech Republic.}
4. Started my new job at The Smithsonian Associates.
I love being right on the mall. Yes, it's true that my office is three floors underground, but I do have my own "personal work station" or for lack of a better term: office. It's pretty exciting though I haven't had much time to do anything to it. There's a reason why they needed me--they could use three more people for the amount of work that they have. I just hope I'll get the hang of things soon!
5. Tutored inner city youth. My singles ward pairs up with an inner city ward and tutors the youth. I was paired up with a fine young man who needed someone to edit his English paper. It was fun to use my English teaching skills, and get to know him. He was hilarious! And such a good writer!
6. Went on an excursion to the fabulous outlets in Leesburg, VA. Biggest surprise: I didn't buy much (way to go self-control). Second biggest surprise: mighty fine Thai food in the middle of nowhere.
7. Chatted with Gloria and Fenny via Skype video chat! I think this made my week! There's nothing like hearing from old friends, especially one's who live in foreign countries. I miss them so much, but am incredibly excited for Fenny to come to America this summer!
8. Went to the DC Temple.
It's been a full two weeks. Despite that, I'm having Seattle withdrawals. How could I not having left friends like these behind?
What helps you adjust the most when you move into a new place/town?
5 comments:
I love your life! Also I love Brittany, and I'm glad you're friends :)
I think what helps me is just getting out there and meeting new people, even doing things I wouldn't normally do in other circumstances. If I'm liking what I'm doing, I keep doing it. I'm sure there will be others with similar interests to make friends with along the way. Looks like you've had a good start with your single's ward and friends on the east coast.
Shannon, you live in DC!! How exciting! I'm not sure if she still lives there, but if you meet an LDS girl named Melissa Della Gatta, she was my bud when I studied abroad in Spain, you would love her, she's a sweetheart.
So we may be coming to DC this fall because my sister is getting married in Richmond and we really want to take the kids up there, so maybe I will see you this year!
Wow. You have been a busy girl in the last two weeks! I'm impressed. Sounds like a fun time. I love National Cathedral. What a cool festival to go to. If you still live there when I get around to going back to DC I will expect a good tour of the highlights. :) Good luck figuring the ins and outs of your new job. I'm sure you'll be great!
i really like your friend's paper airplane hat.
Post a Comment