Three weeks!
We've had summer weather for three whole weeks!
That is definitely one thing to be grateful for...I think we had two weeks of summer last year, and then we went back to the frigid drizzle typical of the Pacific Northwest. Though, rain is what makes this place so beautiful!
A few things that made me happy this week:
The glorious sunsets. The one pictured above I captured on the way home from visiting my bro in Monroe. The sun's rays were absolutely amazing. I have never seen anything like it. Sunsets make me happy. Their beauty reminds me of how much God loves us, and that life is a gift.
Ilene. I can never say enough about this fabulous friend. We met while playing softball in 4th grade, and have been friends ever since. It's mind-boggling how long that has been. She's seen me through it all--junior high, high school, college, post-college living in DC/NY (she was in the Big Apple while I was in our nation's capital), and now back in Seattle. I'm lucky to have a friend like her. As she was giving me a much needed pep-talk this week (I've been struggling with post-diagnosis weight gain, and post-break-up life), she reminded me how much she knows me. And it's true. She truly does. We have history. She's one of my people. I'm grateful for her straightforward demeanor, for her talent of "telling it how it is." I'm grateful for her kicking my butt. I'm grateful for her making me realize how amazing I am, and that I deserve the best--things I know that are true, but are nice to have reinforced every once in a while.
Answers to prayer. Since my diagnosis of type 1 diabetes, I've received answers to several prayers. Yesterday was another witness to me of God's love. I went to Institute (a scripture class), and the class I chose was discussing Matthew 8-10. And it was exactly what I needed. In these particular chapters the Savior heals those with certain diseases and illnesses. I loved the discussion we had about those who were healed, and the great faith that they had. Miracles are evidence of our faith--a tool to reinforce it. Not that I expect to be healed of my diabetes, but it's amazing what the Lord can do if we have faith in Him.
Technology and medicine. I go in for my second eye surgery today (Hurrah!), and it's amazing to me that it is a 15 minute procedure. Only 15 minutes! I'm grateful to live in a country that is so advanced in both technology and medicine.
Running. I got the go ahead by my ophthalmologist (eye surgeon) to start running again, and I realized how much I missed it. It clears my mind, and I just feel good afterwards. After today's surgery, I'll have to wait another couple of weeks before I can run again, but I'll be looking forward to it! (This reminded me of this awesome book that I read by Ann Patchett called Run. Read it. You won't be disappointed).
Here's to life and it's wonders!

1 comment:
Oh, Shannon, how I love you! Your comments have made my week. I have been thinking about you so, so much lately and I love you and I am sorry for your hard struggles, and I am so proud of you for your strength and grace and all around awesomeness, and I know that sounded corny but I don't care, and I know this is the longest sentence in the history of run-on sentences, but I just want you to know all of these things and that I love you, think about you and pray for you. You are wonderful, sweet, loving, kind, adorable, awesome, and amazing, and I love you.
Post a Comment