Saturday, July 28, 2012

Hello Olympics!


We not the Opening Ceremonies absolutely fabulous?!
Well done, Danny Boyle, well done!

I am so pumped for these games.Despite the well covered glitches (thanks American media) that have led up to the 2012 Summer Olympics, I think London is going to show the world a good time.

I was in Taiwan during the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. Funny enough, in Taiwan they cover different sports and countries than they do in the States. Fancy that! More ping pong and the martial arts, less of the sports I really wanted to see (beach volleyball, gymnastics, etc). And all the commentary was in Chinese. I don't know why that was such a shock, but it was. It made for a unique experience.

Back to London.

I loved the transitions to the different eras of time--from the more pastoral era to the industrial age and then to the digital age. Amazing music (I think all the best music comes from the UK or is at least influenced by other artists from the UK). And that love story? So cute.

But my favorite part of the ceremonies was the parade of the nations. I loved seeing the athletes from the smaller, lesser known countries, bear their flags with such pride. It was interesting to see the athletes from the warring countries in the middle east that have been through so much, and yet are able to compete. I loved seeing Bolt carry the Jamaican flag. I loved that the Czechs were ready for the rain (those rain boots and umbrellas!). And I loved seeing "Chinese Taipei" march, despite not being able to participate under their real name--Republic of China.

I love the hope, the camaraderie, and the spirit of the Olympics. It's infectious! And I hope that London 2012 won't let me down. So far I'm pretty convinced it won't. I mean, they did chose Muse's single, Survival, as the official Olympic song. Can it get any better than that?


Muse - Survival - Official Music VideoMuse - [HD] by AceVideos

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails