Friday, July 13, 2012

Sometimes I do cool things...

But only thanks to Living Social.

I kid, but only a little.

A bit ago I found a great deal for a glass blowing class at the Redmond School of Glass, and jumped on it. I persuaded my friend Windy to join me (it wasn't too difficult--this sort of thing is right up her alley), and we had a fabulous time!

At the very beginning. I don't know how to take self portraits yet, can you tell???

I got up bright and early that Saturday morn, anxiously anticipating the grand adventure. I was not disappointed. Our class met up at 9 am in the showroom of the school. Various pieces of blown glass were on display, and we perused the displays until it was time to start. 

Our instructor gave us a quick tour of the studio, and then showed us the process we'd be using for making the glass ornaments  that day. Might I add that he was VERY attractive? In that moody, artistic, sort of way? Well, he was. 
The machine used for heating up the glass. It was boiling!

The whole process was a lot more complicated (and heavy) than I thought it would be. You have to be quick, and exact, and the actual blowing is a two person task (three for us beginners). 

Windy shaping her ornament while I blow.

It was an exhilarating experience, and highly addictive! Windy and I are already planning when we can go back. 

Here's to trying cool, new things!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

no pics of your finished ornaments? Do share! and any flirtation fun with the moody artist instructor?

Windy Dawn said...

YES! I've been meaning to post about this as well. So much fun! Next up...lets make a vase :)

Whitney said...

That is COOL! I am jealous! I love the Chihulli(?) museum in Tacoma.

Shan said...

Elisa, no pics yet. It takes a day for the glass to cool down...It took me 14 days to go back and pick it up! :) I'll get a finished product picture up soon!

Windy, yes, let's! That would be sooo much fun. Maybe in August?

Whitney, I still need to go there! Sad, I know.

Related Posts with Thumbnails