Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A new beginning.


Man has it been a month. Not one of my best, I must admit. Despite that, I'm beginning to see a small ray of light through all the dark clouds. Continually, I'm learning how my body reacts to different foods, levels of exercise and insulin, and how stress and hormones can throw everything out of whack. Hormones are not to be messed with!

I am blessed with extremely patient friends and family. Angels, I tell you! High blood glucose levels make me irritable and cranky, and unfortunately there have been quite a few of those moments of late. If any of my dear friends are reading this, to you I am grateful. Grateful that you have not done an about face and ran in the other direction. (Sometimes I'm good at being a storm cloud. Almost too good).

Through all this, I've been reading a TON, trying to figure out how to be healthy and happy. Many times I have wanted to throw in the towel, and give up (hence some of the high blood sugar episodes). But I've come to realize that throwing in the towel won't help. I'll either end up in the hospital (boy, I do not want that to happen!) or seriously depressed. How fun. So I'm choosing not to give up!

I've come to realize that the first thing I need to do is learn how to truly love myself independent of my successes or failures at work, in my love life, church, etc. And to love myself, I think I need to get to know myself again. It's been a looooong while since I've done this. Sad, I know.

On this new-found quest of self-discovery, it's kind of become my very own Happiness Project. I'm just in the beginning stages right now, gathering all the data on how to proceed. I'm excited for new goals, and for becoming the best version of myself ('cause right now, I'm not it).

Here's to starting over! And to figuring what life is all about!

8 comments:

Nikki said...

Sounds like a good plan all of us could use sometimes. I guess it was just the Jewish New Year--so Happy Jewish New Year! You're great.

Sarah Spencer said...

You are an inspiration! Love you lady!

lisa said...

yeah for you!

Windy Dawn said...

Coincidently happiness has been the topic of my personal scripture study these last few days.

Ali said...

I've started something similar, except I guess I was grouchy when I sat down and planned it because instead of being inspirational and awesome like you, I named mine "Plan to be less grouchy".

Lex said...

Shan, I think this is a great idea too! AMEN to hormones causing wacked-out-ness! I hope you will go for a walk soon and call me. I hate when I miss your calls, then you are no longer on a walk. ;) I hope I can post this because I cannot read the letters in the "prove you're not a robot" thing.

Melanie said...

So funny, I was going to recommend that you read The Happiness Project. Isn't it great?! Have you read Tinkers? It's not at all like The Happiness Project (it's a novel), but something about the photo you posted reminded me of the book. I think you'd like it.

It's so easy to say that you're grateful for hard times that teach you so much; it's much more difficult to actually feel that way sometimes, even though it's still true.

Shan said...

You guys, thanks so much! Seriously. This is the support I'm talking about.

Ali, I love that you're calling it the "plan to be less grouchy"!! That made me laugh.

Lex, calling you today. :)

Mel, it is great! I loved how methodical she was. I'm wanting to read her new book at well, Happiness at Home. I will definitely check out Tinkers. You always have such good recommendations!

Related Posts with Thumbnails