Ever heard of stinky tofu? I hadn't either until I made it to Taiwan. It's one of the most beloved snacks of the Taiwanese people. We even have an entire food alley dedicated to it in Feng Yuan (or maybe we just named it Stinky Tofu Alley because of the smell). The smell is pretty undescribable. It's foul at best, and the first time I got a whiff of it's not-so-pleasant aroma I wanted to hurl. Needless to say, my first six months in Taiwan I passed.
Yet, this time around I decided to not be a wus and actually try some of the strange foods offered at the night markets. And the opportunity to try stinky tofu presented itself while I was Kenting. I was feeling pretty gutsy, plus I was hanging out with two of my Taiwanese friends, Kelly and Charlene, an they convinced that I should try it. So I did. And I liked it. And here's a video to prove it:
Those three guys were kinda walking with us and we kinda challenged each other to try it. It was quite funny. Before I tried it, I saw the one guy take a bite and then spit it out. It made me a bit hesistant, but I had to go through with it.
Tonight I decided to see how they made stinky tofu, and I've also decided that I may not ever eat it again. Click
here to find out why.
Here's to stinky tofu even if it does stink!
1 comment:
You're so funny. Although I'm glad you tried it before you read the wikipedia entry because after reading it I'm positive I will never want to try it. Blech.
Post a Comment