{Random picture by the National Gallery. I'm somewhat obsessed with these pyramids.}
As I was walking down 9th toward the mall after a delightful lunch with my good friend Maggie, I had to stop at a corner to wait for a signal. I was in no rush, as I didn't have anything in particular that I needed to rush back to the office for.
As I was waiting at this particular street corner, thinking about the yummy Indian food I just consumed (oh how I love lunch specials!), two men on the opposite corner started across the street. No biggy, right? Jay-walking is normal. These guys obviously had someplace very important to be, so they obviously couldn't wait the 30 seconds for the indicator. Without even glancing in either direction to make sure cars weren't speeding down the roadway, they started across the street. They didn't get too far because there were cars, and these cars had the right away. So these two men stopped in the middle of the street apparently thinking that the drivers of these cars were mind readers and would know that they wouldn't jump out in front of their moving vehicles. One woman who was driving, slowed to let one of the men finish crossing the street. If it were me, I would have smiled, waved, and ran across the street. But do you think this is what the man did?
Oh, no!
Not only did he take his sweet time crossing the street, but he had the audacity to start cursing at the driver for slowing down. Does this make sense to anyone? Is there some logic that I'm missing out on? He was breaking the law, and was cursing someone out for showing some courtesy.
Seriously...sometimes I just don't understand some people. Do you?
1 comment:
Ugh I hate it when people do that! It's annoying on both ends, the driver and the jay-walker. But the bottom line is that a pedestrian always has the right of way. Even if they are jay-walking and a car hits them it's generally the driver's problem/fault. This person was just exceptionally rude. Boo.
Post a Comment