Monday, August 23, 2010

Summer days and nights



I fear that during my complaints about the sauna-like weather, the weather has turned and there is that fall-something in the air.


Citi jako podzim, as my friend Janca and I would joke. 


While I enjoy the cooler weather (I'll enjoy wearing my cardigans in the mid-eighty degree weather and not sweat like a pig), the end of summer comes a yearning for it to continue.


This summer has been one of change, and I've discovered, much to my dismay, that I'm still not accustomed to change. I don't like it. Not even a little bit. But despite moving across the country, starting a new job, living in a new town with people I don't know surrounding me, it's been a good summer. 


A few things of late:

  • Screen on the Green--watching 12 Angry Men on the National Mall was pretty spectacular. 

  • A visit from my dear dad
  • My first rodeo at the Montgomery County Fair
  • Seeing my old MTC bro and mission buddy Brian, aka Jimi

  • Lunching with Fenny and Arwyn at the National Sculpture Garden
  • Hanging out in Bethesda with Maggie and chatting for hours with Rach at a hotel just because we could
  • 7th Hill Pizzeria, Bread and Chocolate with fellow foodie Rach
  • Biking around town, and trying to dodge cars and poorly paved side-walks
  • Several metro delays because of "sick passengers"
  • Letting a friend's bro crash at my place and enjoying a fun filled evening with him and his engaged friends
  • Hanging out in the city with Katie, my movie buddy
  • Reading too many books, watching entirely too many movies, a listening to a plethora of new music
  • Game nights with good friends
  • Losing electricity 4 times in the last month
Here's to the last days of summer, in all it's glory!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I think you are so lucky to be having so many adventures. Even though change is scary, it's these times that you will always remember. Sounds like you have kept busy and had a great summer!

Nikki said...

I know, I'm clinging to summer right now, too! Sounds like you've been doing a lot of fun stuff.

Heather H. said...

Hi Shannon! So good to hear from you. I have to admit, my heart hurts sometimes when I think of DC, such a wonderful place! I am so happy that you are working at the Smithsonian...hopefully I will get a chance to visit you (& Nikki) sometime! Miss our chats too!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails