Sunday, September 7, 2008

Little Miss Sicky

As some might have heard, I've been fighting off a nasty cold for the past week and a half. I'm used to getting colds every once in a while in the winter, and have it run its course in about 5 days and then be done with it. I guess illnesses in Taiwan aren't exactly the same as they are in the States, or at least my body doesn't react to them the same.

Unlike when I usually get sick, it has been ridiculously hot and humid. And maybe that's the reason I am sick. The humidity creates a nice warm environment for all things that want to grow--trees, bushes, nasty bacteria, atd. When I wasn't feeling so well a week or so ago, one the secretaries, Gloria, told me I should go see the doctor. I thought that it was a bit much to go to the doctor the first day that I had a runny nose and a sore throat. But I was wrong. I should have listened to her. My cold did not go away, like I hoped, but got much, much worse. So finally I allowed Gloria to take me to the ears, nose and throat doctor. I was expecting it to take at least an hour like it normally does in the States. Oh, no. It took a total of 15 minutes for me to see the doctor and get my meds, all for the whopping price of 150 NT (about $6). Instead of giving me a bottle of medicine with directions on it, they gave me this: Little individual packets of pills that I take after each meal and before I go to bed. It was totally convenient and cheap! I love the medical system here! Well, except for the fact that I had to go back three days later to get more, but I was in and out in no time. Fabulous.

Here's to socialized health care...at least to Taiwan's socialized health care.

1 comment:

Ash said...

SMitty and I totally agree with socialized med thing, but SHHHH... don;t tell anyone

Related Posts with Thumbnails