Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tag, I'm it!

So my fabulous friend Miss Missy tagged me at the end of her last blog to continue on the blog questionnaire thing. So I decided, what the hey? It might be fun. As a result I was able to stroll down memory lane and realize that I'm starting to get old. I'm 3 years away from my 10 reunion. That's really weird! Anyways, so I hope you enjoy getting to know my high school me.

Did you date someone from your school?
No. Honestly I was scared of guys in high school even though I had multiple crushes.
What kind of car did you drive?
When I got my license my parents bought me a '91 blue Mitsubishi something or other. I ended up crashing it into a ditch on my first day of work at Jamba Juice. I decided to try driving on a flat tire and some how, when I went to pull onto the shoulder, I landed in the ditch that was covered up with weeds. So, my next car was an ugly Dodge mini-van that was christened Cow Chip because it was the color of poo. It ended up not being so bad because I could drive 7 other people around which = too much fun.
Were you a party animal?
Nope. That didn't hit until my sophomore year of college.
Were you considered a flirt?
Nope.
Were you in band, orchestra, or choir?
Yep. I was in the Woodinville High School marching band, concert band and wind ensemble. I wasn't a band geek though. Myself and 5 other "jocks" used to joke around that we were the "Band Outcasts" because the other geeky band members didn't like us.
Were you on any varsity teams?
No, I quit volleyball before I could be. It was something of a tragedy at the time, but I'm grateful that I did. Something to do with a psycho coach and me having better things to do to get me into college (aka school).
Did you ever get suspended or expelled?
Are you kidding? I was pretty much the model student. Straight A's, tried to get on every teachers' good side (no, I wasn't a brown-noser, or a suck up--I detested people who were). I had the interest of my younger siblings in mind. Through keen observation I learned that the younger siblings of those whom the teacher liked always became the teacher's favorites. So, like any older sister, I tried to do the same for my younger siblings. Unfortunately my amazing plan was foiled when my brother got a waiver to go to my rival high school ( Boo, Inglemoor! Mom, I know it's your Alma Mater, but it was still the rival), and my sister went to a private school.
Who were your favorite teachers?
I have too many. Mrs. Briton-Simmons (or Mrs. BS, as she liked to introduce herself to us students). She was an amazing English teacher and helped me write killer college entrance essays.
Mr. Adamo, my high school band teacher. He was amazing. He was with us all three years, and really opened my eyes to different genres of classical music. Every Wednesday and Thursday we had block classes, and in band we would play for an hour and then listen to some great, inspirational music for the next. Through him I learned that Copeland's Rodeo was a ballet, that John Williams stole many of his melodies from Gustav Holst's The Planets, and that Sheila Chandra is an amazing artist who is part Irish and part Indian.
Ms. Clark who instilled in me a love for poetry and thought that mine had some potential.
Mr. Miller, my amazing history teacher who sent me to college with a desire to study history, art history, or get my hands on anything of some depth. Thanks to him and his class I decided to major in Humanites.
And I had several others that I absolutely adored, but because I've been graduated for so long, I can no longer remember their names.
Could you still sing the fight song?
Never could and never will.
Where did you sit during lunch?
Depends on the year and the weather. Most of the time out in the quad. Senior year, either at Big Foot Bagels where they had amazing raspberry smoothies, or some other place in town, or the Senior Wall. Sometimes when my friend Alana and I got bored of our high school, we would make the drive to Bothell High School and visit our friends there (by saying our friends, I really meant her friends. All my other friends went to Inglemoor, which was too far to drive in the 50 minutes we were allotted). When it was raining, inside the horribly crowded cafeteria.
What was your school's full name?
Woodinville High School
Did you go to homecoming?
Nope.
What do you remember most about graduation?
That it was finally my turn to graduate. As a member of band I attended the past 2 graduations to perform Pomp and Circumstance. It was held at Hec Ed at UW. I remember sitting by my best friends, Melissa Mock and Lorien Cilliers, and some guy who was my friend, but I can't remember his name now. They awarded an honorary diploma to my friend Erin, who had passed away early in the year from liver cancer. There wasn't a dry eye in the audience.
Where did you go senior skip day?
I don't remember...is that horrible? I vaguely remember skipping though. I felt like such a rebel, but now looking back at it, it wasn't that exciting. I've made up for it since then.
Were you in any clubs?
I was in Key Club. And French Club. And Band (it might as well be a club).
Have you gained some weight since then?
Doesn't everyone?
Are you going to your ten year reunion?
Depends on if I'm in the country, and if any of my friends who graduated with me that I still keep in touch with are going. I have to admit, I'm pretty curious to see how everyone has ended up.
Thanks Missy!!!!

1 comment:

Missy Johnson said...

YAY! I'm so glad you did it! I miss ya Shanny!

Related Posts with Thumbnails