Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Meet "Miss Shanna's" Basic Reading class...

Welcome to my class. You have previously met William, the boy who got 8 stitches in his head because he ran, tripped, and hit his head on our classroom bookshelf; and Larson, the boy who never naps. This entry is an ode to the rest of my delightful class, whose one true delight is to hide in the cupboards and scare me every time I enter the room.
This is Belinda. She is the smartest, brightest student in my class. Her father is the ear, nose, and throat doctor that I almost went to when I was sick. Belinda likes to get her nose into mischief. Because it is so unexpected, she's gotten pretty close to pulling the wool over "Miss Shanna's" eyes. Aside from that, Belinda is a wonderful student and will one day win the Nobel Prize.
Meet Emily. Emily is an adorable girl who prances about the room like a fairy, or a bird. I haven't decided which one she is more like. Emily is the teacher's pet. Anything that makes "Miss Shanna" happy makes Emily happy. As a result, she is possibly "Miss Shanna's" favorite. Emily aspires to be an Olympic gymnast/swimmer.
Meet Becca. Becca is feisty. Becca has attitude. An enthusiastic pranker, Becca never backs down from any challenge given behind my back. When she's not too tied up with making mischief, she beautifully copies down spelling words and sentences.This is Penny. Penny the Princess to you. Penny has long, wavy hair, and is always impeccably dressed in pretty pink dresses. Don't let her shyness fool you. This princess has a surprisingly bossy side. She orders her classmates to sit before she hands out a treat, and her command is never contested. Her future career goals include becoming a Taiwanese teacher if being a professional princess is not available. These two handsome gents are Jason and Aragon, respectively. Yes, I have a student who is named after the Lord of the Rings character, and yes, that does automatically make him the coolest kid ever.

Jason is a ham. Jason never learned the function of a chair. Every time I turn around he's crouching on it, sitting on the floor under it, or using it as a foot stool. Jason's also our resident space cadet. As if on cue, whenever I address the class Jason becomes completely enthralled with his water bottle, his pencil, or his tokens. Jason has his incredibly good looks and easy smile to get him out of any ugly situation.

Aragon is quiet and very well behaved. Of late he has enjoyed the occupation of class tattle-tale. I am always well informed of any mischief that occurs in the classroom. All Chinglish, Chinese, tapping of one's shoulder, getting out of one's seat, sharpening of one's pencil, and drinking of one's water bottle is instantly reported. But who can get upset with the child who always finishes his homework on-time and brings the teacher fresh mangos from Thailand?Watch out...Mr. Popular has arrived. The cute, chubby cheeked kid next to Aragon is Kevin. He oozes with coolness and everyone wants a piece of him--even the girls. He's smart, he's clever. He's almost too smart for his own good. Kevin enjoys raucous and is almost always the instigator of any classroom chaos. Luckily, he also knows the meaning of humility and knows when he has gone too far. And who can resist his adorable chubby cheeks?

"Miss Shanna's" Basic Reading class is definitely the best. I'm always amazed with how well they speak, read, and write for seven year olds. In English. Even though they do frustrate me often--and my fellow teachers can attest to that fact--I can't help but love them.

Here's to cute, adorable Taiwanese kids!

1 comment:

Cami said...

Thanks for introducing me to your class! Your kids are great, and I can tell that you love them! I haven't been to Taiwan, but I have been to mainland China, and it is wonderful. I am so jealous that you are living there. Now that I know you have a blog, I will have to go back and read your older entries and learn of your adventures! Feel free to check out my blog anytime as well... it's mostly pictures of my baby!

Related Posts with Thumbnails