Saturday, September 27, 2008

Typhoon Jangmi...

So I happen to be stuck in my fourth typhoon of the season, and it's supposed to be a large one. The last typhoon that hit Taiwan 2 weeks ago killed 12 people and caused a major bridge between Feng Yuan--the town I live in--and Holi to collapse. It has been estimated that it will take 3 years to replace. The public is in an outrage because news of Arnold Schwartzenager rebuilding a bridge that collapsed in California in only 18 days has caught wind.
Anyways, Typhoon Jangmi is supposed to be even larger, and will hit Taiwan today and tomorrow. For us at Berhan it's a welcome respite from teaching--granted that school is actually cancelled. So far the rain hasn't been too bad, but the wind has been gusting at extraordinary speeds.

When I've told secretaries in the past that I love typhoons, they always stare at me in horror. Why would I like something that kills hundreds of people, ruins buildings, and destroys many people's sources of income. Well, once I thought of it that way, it did seem pretty horrible that I like them so much. But on the other hand, how is that different from the snow storms of Utah, and the wind storms/rain storms of Seattle?
All in all, I love typhoons, and I really hope Jangmi will stick around for a while.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails